Seattle Home Inspector's Blog

head_left_image

Ghosts!---for sure the house was haunted!

Ghosts!

When she called me to book the inspection she said that she knew the house was haunted.  She said she didn’t believe in ghosts.  I did not question it, I recognized the address, and had heard stories about the house being haunted.  I also believed she didn’t believe in ghosts.  The house spent a lot of time vacant and had more owners than a dollar bill.  Rumors travel fast about such homes and no amount of frosting on the listing was going to cover up the fact that it was an awesome deal for the location---so awesome that most anyone would wonder why.

Not everything is rosesIt was an enormous old house with thick heavy lead based paint peeling off in sheets from the cedar clapboard siding.  The trim was mostly bare wood---except the ornate decorative gables that were too intricate to peel and somewhat protected by the roof overhang. 

The rose bushes that grew up the South side of the house were mulched with the paint chips that had rained there.

The story book old home had charm for sure.  It was located in a little hollow at the end of Cul-de-sac Street.  It had massive curb appeal---or at least it would have had if an owner could have stayed there long enough to properly maintain it.  It was not hard for optimistic new buyers to see its promise---its great bones were obvious. 

It seems there is never any shortage of young home owners with too much energy and lack of knowledge to prevent them from undertaking such projects.

Its many outdated systems would need upgrading---including the hammering and hissing old steam radiators. The monstrous old coal burning octopus furnace in the basement that had been converted to oil in 1946 (right after the war) and then converted to gas in 1974 (right after the war), groaned and creaked through the long winters but still kept occupants and ghosts alike warm and cozy.

But the visions of returning the home to its former glory would sooner or later succumb to the stories of how previous owners had seen ghosts and heard strange noises in the house.  All owners, sooner or later, would report seeing and hearing the ghosts and would pack up and leave---starting the ghost story all over again.

But alas---some ghosts---not all ghosts----are not what they seem.

 

Everyone knows the dangers of carbon monoxide which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.  We are most familiar with “acute” carbon monoxide poisoning, where you get a massive dose in a short amount of time resulting in death or serious injury.

What is less understood are the effects of levels of carbon monoxide typically considered below the threshold for typical symptoms.  In other words we do not fully understand the cumulative effect of low levels of carbon monoxide that can lead to symptoms that might initially be misdiagnosed as some other condition.  Symptoms such as headache, dizziness, chest pain, nausea and vomiting can often be symptoms for other things besides carbon monoxide poisoning.

Even OSHA allows workers to be exposed to “average” carbon monoxide levels of 50ppm over an 8 hour period.

Since carbon monoxide accumulates in the body it stands to reason that even levels below 30ppm or 20ppm might accumulate and have an effect on our health over time.  Supposedly removing oneself from the source of exposure allows one to return to normal, however there is some evidence that suggests that repeated exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide may do some damage.  Repeated exposure places a heavy burden on the cells throughout our bodies---including our brains---affecting how well cells function.  It can lead to depression, confusion and memory loss.

Ghosts can even be a symptom.  According to Wikipedia, “Symptoms such as delirium and hallucinations have led people suffering (carbon monoxide) poisoning to think they have seen ghosts or to believe their house is haunted.”  It kind of makes you wonder how many of our ancestors were affected by carbon monoxide sleeping by the smoldering embers in the fireplace.

Carbon Monoxide in a cigaretteLevels as low as 35 ppm can lead to headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure to carbon monoxide. It is not unusual to have start-up levels of carbon monoxide on your home’s gas range or gas oven above these levels.  Levels quickly drop to under 10ppm once the flame becomes established---if everything is working properly.  The question remains as to whether over time these low levels can affect our health.  Public health authorities say that the incidental nature of these exposures, and the fact that they are not sustained, makes exposure at these levels “safe.”

This may or may not be true.

These conclusions however are why it is not “required” to have a range hood over your gas cooking stove.  I have found in testing gas ranges that normal burning of the cook top will have levels of carbon monoxide under 10ppm---the oven and broiler however often run “dirtier” with levels above 35ppm.  In homes with no exhaust fan or with unused exhaust fans this represents quite a lot of exposure to carbon monoxide in the length of time it takes to cook the Thanksgiving turkey---another reason to pass out on the couch after dinner.

I have no clue what the truth of repeated incidental exposure to carbon monoxide is but it would seem prudent to ALWAYS use the exhaust fan whenever operating the gas cooktop, oven and/or broiler.  It would also seem prudent to install a range hood---and use it---if you don’t have one---regardless of codes.

PS

The “266ppm” in the picture above is the amount of carbon monoxide in the smoke from a Marlboro cigarette.  It would also seem prudent to not smoke.  It appears that cancer might not be the only problem with cigarettes.  I always knew there was something a little off with the Marlboro Man. 

 

Charles Buell, Seattle Home Inspector

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Seattle Home Inspector

 

The Human Rights Campaign   QR code for Charles Buell Inspections Inc  ASHI.org

 

WA State, Home Inspector Advisory Licensing Board

Comment balloon 14 commentsCharles Buell • April 28 2011 10:32AM
Ghosts! ---for sure the house was haunted!
share
Ghosts! When she called me to book the inspection she said that she knew the house was haunted. She said she didn’t believe in ghosts. I did not question it, I recognized the address, and had heard stories about the house being haunted… more
Foaming at the mouth.
share
I have blogged in the past about Urea-formaldehyde insulation, and I still frequently find it on inspections. Many people still have vague recollections of its being a problem in the past. And of course the Canadian government still thinks… more
Messing with the beast---thinking outside the box.
share
Electrical defects in homes certainly make up the largest portion of most inspection reports and usually represent the biggest portion of the Summary as well. Considering that most people are scared to death of electricity, I find it a… more
Were you born in a barn and brought up outdoors?
share
This was a question I was asked frequently as a kid. Kids have little concept of hot and cold---let alone what it takes to heat a home. Leaving doors open as they run outside is common. It always has been common, and probably always… more
Water temperature should not be so hot that your ears whistle when…
share
Modern construction regulations require that some means of limiting water temperatures of the hot water being delivered to tubs, showers and bidets be installed. This is achieved by installing pressure-balance, thermostatic-mixing or… more
Sometimes visual barriers are just not enough!
share
On first glance this stair barrier railing appears to be adequate. It meets current requirements as to the amount of space between the balusters as well as the space along the floor under the barrier. It is even of sufficient height. &… more
How steep is too steep?
share
The house had no garage. It used to have a garage. It used to be under the house. It was pretty obvious why there wasn’t a garage any more. While lots of garages under houses get remodeled as a way to get more living space,… more
Sometimes there are better mouse traps and we still don’t use them.
share
Usually most attempts at building a better mouse trap does not significantly deplete the number of mice to be trapped. This fact does not keep us from trying to come up with better mouse traps. After all, it is the American way---and… more
Someone must have been spaced out! So whose stairs are they anyway?
share
One of the challenges of being a home inspector is learning how to language defects in terms of the time frame they occurred. For example the way an inspector would report about improper spacing of stair treads with open risers would be… more
Not a good plan.
share
Electricity is fascinating stuff. Whether it is the kind that you can stick a balloon on the ceiling with or the kind that can split a 150 foot Douglas Fir tree from top to bottom. At some point, guys a lot smarter than me figured out… more